Park / Bourne Bridge
contributions come from Mike O'Donovan, summer 2010, with his own
emailed commentary. Bourne Park lies away from the town centre
with main entrances at the end of Wherstead Road and on Stoke Park
The War Memorial
"Here is a set of photos showing the memorial at Bourne Park. It has
three sides and the photos show one side and the inscriptions on that
inscription at the bottom (below the crest) reads:
'THIS TABLET IS ADDED TO THE MEMORIAL AS
A TOKEN FROM THEIR FELLOW WORKERS.'
text of the memorial is shown next to the
photograph of the weather-worn plate:
some more from the same memorial, side 2.
weathered metal plate and the full text
plaque at the bottom reads as follows:
As a matter
of interest one of those listed in the
first World War list is Pte. Nathaniel Kirby, 4th Battalion Suffolk
Regiment. The reason I mention that is because there is a building at
the bottom of Belstead Road with a wooden plaque and the words 'Kirby
Cottage' on it and around the corner it's got a listed house sign.
[Toiling up Belstead Road hill away from Stoke Bridge, cast a glance at
Kirby Cottage and it's from a different generation from the surrounding
houses and sits differently in relation to the roadway; compare with
the house called 'Chimneys' on the same side near the top of the hill.]
[UPDATE 14.12.2012: a long shot
of Kirby Cottage (which for some reason is listed as 'Lonsdale Cottage'
with its listed building crest.]
Listing text for 'Lonsdale Cottage: "A red brick
building with late C18 or early C19 external features, possibly with an
earlier core. It stands at right angles to the road and is gabled and
plastered on the road frontage. The east front, to the garden, has
double-hung sash windows in flush cased frames with segmental heads.
The south end has 1 window range of C20 casements. Roof tiled, with 2
gabled half dormers and 2 chimney stacks, each with 3 diagonally set
shafts." Kirby Cottage runs at right angles away from Belstead Road an
is parallel and close to the stables building and vaults of the
long-demolished Stoke Hall, which are
These are the last from the monument [the statement carved into the
MEMORIALS WERE REMOVED
FROM THE FORMER
RANSOMES & RAPIER
WATERSIDE WORKS CANTEEN UPON
THE CLOSURE OF THE COMPANIES [sic]
MANUFACTURING FACILITY IN 1988"
Surprising really that
there is such a lot of history involved which is practically unknown to
many people. Sadly, the name of the individual mentioned on the plaque
has been removed as you can see from the statement at the bottom.
However, the person mentioned is Richard Stokes (1897 - 1957). His
mother's family was involved in the engineering firm Ransomes &
Rapier and he was a Labour MP. The metal plaque
reads as follows:
& MANAGING DIRECTOR
RANSOMES & RAPIER LIMITED
1927 - 1957
MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR IPSWICH
1938 - 1957
HIS MAJESTY'S MINISTER OF WORKS
1950 - 1951
1950 - 1957
LORD PRIVY SEAL & MINISTER OF MATERIALS
The park gates
two images relating to Bourne Park. These are on the
gates at the entrance to the Park.
Henry mentioned was one of the sons of King
George V and was born in 1900 and died in 1974. He was one of the
present queen's uncles. As a matter of interest he and his wife appear
on a 1945 Australian postage stamp. By the way the Ipswich Lettering
getting better. It's a marvellous record of the town." See our page on More almshouses for more about W.F.
THE GIFT OF ALDERMAN W.F. PAUL'
OPENED BY H.R.H. PRINCE HENRY OCTOBER 7TH
thanks to Mike O'Donovan for these examples
and the background detail. An anecdotal addition: the garish yellow of
the cast iron gate memorials above seem to sum up the current state of
Bourne Park: a bit run down. In cycling down the whole length of
Constitution Avenue, as we discover it's called, from Stoke Park Drive
(see Note below) to the Wherstead Road entrance, one finds a pleasant
public park - with
good children's play area - bordered by housing, scrubland, Belstead
Brook, a main road
and a railway line. A bit depressing, those boarded-up wrecks of
buildings at the Wherstead Road entrance. They ought to get someone to
live in the corner one with the clock (get it to tell the right
time...) and sell ice creams and teas from the smaller one. Anyway,
down to Arch Cottage and the gentleman who lives there was very
forthcoming. His cottage was built in the 1700s, long before the nearby
embanked railway (initially the Eastern Union Railway in 1846,
terminating in Station Street near Croft Street until the station moved
to its present site in 1860) and
had two acres of land including the current caravan site. While this
gentleman was in the RAF, his father sold the adjacent front lawn to
his brother who built a house on the site: Meadow Bank Cottage. He was
obviously born and bred there as he remembers the steam trains going
by. He loves trains: 'You can set your watch by them'. The
impressive arch which allows public access to the park through the
embankment (and, of
course, the two cottages) is worth a look, but what was Arch Cottage
called during the many years before the railway – and the arch
See more details on the railway and Stoke Tunnel
on our EUR, Croft Street page.
[N.B.: "Stoke Park" can be
confusing: in the early 1900s it
was a large estate and the home of Lord Gwydyr, a County
Magistrate (formerly Peter Burrell: see our Street
name derivations entry for Burrell Road).
of Stoke Park, 1914
An 1885 directory describes Stoke Park – not to be confused with Stoke Hall
mentioned above) as a handsome mansion in a well-wooded park of 500
acres, commanding beautiful views of the river. It was the private
house of Lord Gwydyr, but was a favourite place (presumably the
parkland?) for Sunday School treats and children's outings. It was
demolished in 1930 but some of the mature trees apparently still stand
on the Stoke Park housing estate around the Bourne Park area to the
west of the Orwell.]
Close to the Bourne Park entrance is the original Bourne Bridge, now
by-passed and only open to pedestrian traffic. Mike O'Donovan writes (3
April 2011): "You may find the attached photo of interest. It's of a
plaque on Bourne Bridge. The words are now very weather worn, and it's
another interesting item of Ipswich history. The inscription reads:
BRIDGE WIDENED 1891
BY THE COUNTY AND BOROUGH AND BY
OPENED OCT 29 BY
ALDERMAN NATHANIEL CATCHPOLE
ALDERMAN OF JOINT COMMITTEE"
"Ipswich, the county Town of Suffolk, and the Port
itself, is spread out with the Ostrich public house by Bourne Bridge
marking the boundary. The Ostrich is four centuries old and named
after part of the crest of the Earls of Leicester who once owned the
land on which is stands. It is also said the name ~Ostrich~ was a
mistake caused by a drunken landlord whose slurred speech resulted in
the sign writer mis-understanding his orders for the sign to be painted
~The Oyster Reach."
Photo courtesy: Mike
The Ostrich public house
Bourne bridge marks the boundary of Wherstead
parish. Near the bridge, on the Wherstead side, stands the
Ostrich Inn, as it stood at the time of the New England
migration. In those days, however, oysters were still found in
Orwell waters, and the name 'Oyster Ridge' had not been corrupted to
the name of the exotic bird whose effigy for many years adorned the
swinging signboard of the roadside tavern. It's instructive that when
this pub was bought and greatly extended in the nineteen nineties it
was renamed 'The Oyster Reach'.
Another source suggests:
The oldest part of the pub (adjacent to Bourne Hill) dates from the
16th or 17th century, though it has been much altered and added to.
According to Alfred Hedges' book, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and
Suffolk", the inn has been in existence since 1612. 'The Ostrich' is
Listed Grade II, despite some heavy modern additions and alterations.
More park lettering: Alexandra Park, Christchurch
Park (and Mansion) and Chantry Park.
Please email any comments
and contributions by clicking here.
throughout the Ipswich
Historic Lettering site: Borin Van Loon
No reproduction of text or images without express written permission